Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

NY is great but Miami is calling me....

Before I go into the post of the day! I must say a very solemn good bye to Elizabeth Taylor. She passed away at 79 today of heart failure! We'll miss those beautiful blue eyes but her memory will live on through her movies, beautiful pictures and the family and fans she left behind!

Here's a beach pic of Mrs. Taylor as thats' the subject of my post today!--> Getting to the BEACH!


So spring hasn't sprung quite yet; pretty obvious based on how today is looking; so until then... if you are looking for a quick "warm-up" PRONTO!..I suggest my favorite hobby! Hop on a plane to SOBE! SUN AND SAND!!! Also try switching it up by staying at a smaller boutique hotel for your stay. OK, don't get me wrong... I love the Schwanky Luxury Hotels out there; however, I prefer more times than not to stay at a smaller "lux" boutique hotel. Why?

They tend to cater more to their visitors, have more of a one on one interaction with their guests, offer more day to day perks, less crowding and the service tends to be just a bit tighter; as they have less of  a palm tree up their.... OK! I'll stop there. I think you get it!

WELCOME TO MIAMI !!!!


Here are a few under the radar notables on the scene in SOBE and Northern Miami. If you've been to Miami since 2007, you noticed the landscape changed drastically when the economy was flushed down the Miami Beach! Half the hotels on Ocean, Lincoln and Collins disappeared!! It was like a ghost town! The economy really beat it up; most hotels couldn't sustain without the tourism the strong economy brought. Thankfully, the ending of 2010 and the beginning of 2011 shows some revitalization to the the city.  Miami is starting to overcome these tough times, as well as other tourist heavy cities! They are rebuilding and so far I like what I see.

Here are a few new or newly renovated boutique spots that I may have to check out in the coming months.

The RED South Beach:
It's a little further down on the strip, which again tends to be my preference. The hotels that sit smack in the middle of Ocean Drive; at times tend to be less maintained, loud  24hours a day! Can I get a little bit of sleep after all the partying? I don't want folks barrelling down the halls at 6:30am! Being further out, but still on the strip is my ideal location. This one is on 30th and Collins.  They recently under went a multi-million dollar renovation. The look is very much a blend of classic and contemporary. They are actually one block from the beach and less than 10 minutes away from the "action" so to speak. Still within walking distance from all the madness!

Make your reservations online at Red South Beach
http://redsouthbeach.com/

The New Hotel Miami:
This hotel strikes me as one for someone who considers themselves a minimalist and doesn't require the chandelier's, glitz or glamour; however, wants to be "Eco Chic", as one traveler described it! This hotel is environmentally conscious...This is a fully GREEN hotel! Everything from the cleaning products to their Organic Sheets! They are also just two blocks off the beach and small enough where the owner can provide a personal touch! I'm down with that after a long day of sunbathing and salsa! This hotel is closer to North Miami for those who want to be away from the Miami regulars!  Check them out at: http://thenewhotelmiami.com/


The last hotel was formerly known as "The Strand", but it is now -"The Congress Hotel" at 1052 Ocean Drive. This is for all you hot Tamales who gotta be ON THE MAP...in the "thick" of things!


It's literally steps away from the beach and a row of restaurants and shops to chose from every night! You won't miss anything if your here at the Congress and they have a cutesy Rooftop pool! You can book now on their site at: http://www.congresshotelsouthbeach.com/  Umm, yeah so I guess this one wouldn't be considered "under the radar"!

So if you are looking for a low key or rocking out with your ***&## ...out kinda time! One of these should offer you a little something for your buck!

Until next time...stay Schwanky!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment